When rewarding your dog, it is important for you to provide a combination of rewards. Remember you have five rewards to offer: touch, voice, play, treats, and loose leash.
- Toys and treats are a great way to lure your dog for the “puppy come” game.
- If you use treats as a reward, you don’t have to give them each time.
- You can always use your dogs’ food as treat rewards.
- If you use treats as a reward, remember to cut down on the quantity of food you feed.
- Using multiple rewards provides your dog with a clear understanding that he “got it right.”
- Remember to train for short periods of time (5-10 minutes), multiple times per day.