Socialization is important for a happy, well-behaved dog. I suggest making a habit out of the following tips:
- Take your dog to 1-3 new places each week and meet 2-5 new people.
- Remember to use dogs greeting manners. Invite one friend over who will help you teach greeting manners.
- Be sure to give visiting guests treats to give your dog when he exhibits appropriate/good behavior. Tell them about the multiple rewards you can offer the dog.
- Be sure to keep up on your dogs social skills with you meet new people.
- Keep up K-9 social skills (meeting other dogs). Remember always ask permission of the other dogs’ owner prior to introducing the dogs. Remember to greet with a loose leash.
- If you have or are planning to have children, or grandchildren, now is the time to socialize with small children.
- Reminder: rewards are given this week for everything “good” or “right” that your dog does. Bad behavior should be ignored if it is not dangerous.